Some monsters just aren’t sexy enough for Twilight, as can be seen in this spoof from SNL starring Taylor Swift. Instead of brooding vampires and pensive werewolves, “Firelight” has Bella caught in a love triangle with Phillip “Frank”enstein and Max the Mummy.
The Cullens are now the “Franks” a family of green skinned, bolt-necked monsters who accidentally strangle people to death. Bella discovers Phillip’s secret when he has a bad reaction to a lit Bunsen burner in biology class (fire bad!).
In switching up the monsters, the spoof unwittingly reveals the function of vampires as metaphors for teenage sexuality in the Twilight saga. Both Frankenstein and the Mummy represent fears of the undead and the "other' in a way that differs from the creatures in Twilight, making them inappropriate symbols in a bitingly comic spoof.
I was on MySpace when a Zombieland promo popped up with Woody Harrelson and that kid from Juno giving tips on how to survive a zombie apocalypse. This bit of fun seguewayed into the trailer and I was about to click off when I noticed the zombie stripper that chases the Asian businessman out of the nudie club (an image that has stuck with me since my first viewing of the redband trailer) was now wearing a digital bikini top! Check out the regular and restricted trailers at the Zombieland website to witness the hilarity.
These two reptilian babes are taking each other on in this special Women in Horror Recognition Month edition of Monster Smackdown. Who will be the victor? A once beautiful maiden cursed by the gods or the daughter of a mad scientist? Lethality: The Reptile packs a pretty powerful bite. Her victims die within minutes, foaming at the mouth as their flesh turns black with her venom. She racks up a body count in the small village of Clagmoor Heath in Cornwall where locals blame the rash of deaths on the Black Plague. While the Reptile's venom is powerful, she still needs to get close to sink her fangs into her victim. Medusa can literally turn her victims to stone with a glance. Medusa was once a beautiful maiden who defiled Athena's temple by having an affair with Poseidon. In revenge, Athena transformed Medusa's hair into writhing snakes and made her face so horrible to look upon that it would turn onlookers to stone. Medusa's lethality is more powerful than poison, ...
I watched the Sixth Sense for the first time last night, and I can’t help thinking, “what happened M. Night Shyamalan?” The Sixth Sense was masterfully directed and written, providing just the right amount of suspense and a twist ending that had everyone in the theater gasping for air. Add to that the superb performances of Bruce Willis and the kid from A.I., and the Sixth Sense was a box office smash. Unfortunately, none of Mr. Shyamalan’s later films have lived up to this debut. Shymamalan realized how important the twist ending was to the success of the Sixth Sense, and proceeded to throw the obligatory curve ball into every one of his subsequent films. The problem with this technique is that a) you can see it coming and b) a twist isn’t always a good thing. So here’s my take on the films of M. Night Shyamalan, their twists and their shortcomings. Mark Wahlberg tries to find a plot that makes sense in The Happening The Happening (2008) Twist Ending: Plants are trying to kill ...
You can post Twatlight spoofs anytime and make my day! :-)
ReplyDeleteI thought you were going to talk about the Jenna Haze version for a sec (I just a read a bad review of that one too).
ReplyDeleteI saw this SNL skit, and must admit I found it funny (I normally can't stand to watch SNL, but I like Andy Samberg and that Hot Rod crew).
Neat observations as usual!