Just in case you forgot how terrifying Faye Dunaway is as psycho Hollywood icon Joan Crawford. I still can't watch this movie without having nightmares.
She was one of my 'female villains' I spotlighted last month and I reiterate that she is probably the most frightening. Seeing those clips again makes me a bit ill... Definitely nightmare inducing!
You know, for all the disdain that was heaped upon this film (and much of it was well deserved), and as bad as the script is (and it's pretty bad) - I still think that Faye Dunaway gave a terrific performance. Call it campy, but next to her performances in Network and Bonnie and Clyde, this is the one everyone remembers her for.
Yeah, the movie sucks but Dunaway's great in it. Interestingly, after really researching the part, and talking to those who knew her, Faye realized she wasn't playing a monster and sought to humanize J Crawford, much to christina Crawford's rage!
I totally agree with Pax and Rob. The pacing and direction are awful, as the film has no real sense of time or purpose, but in the hands of a better filmmaker, I really do think Dunaway could've won an Oscar. She goes all out, and as fun as it is to make fun of the performance now, it's actually great on its own.
I was on MySpace when a Zombieland promo popped up with Woody Harrelson and that kid from Juno giving tips on how to survive a zombie apocalypse. This bit of fun seguewayed into the trailer and I was about to click off when I noticed the zombie stripper that chases the Asian businessman out of the nudie club (an image that has stuck with me since my first viewing of the redband trailer) was now wearing a digital bikini top! Check out the regular and restricted trailers at the Zombieland website to witness the hilarity.
These two reptilian babes are taking each other on in this special Women in Horror Recognition Month edition of Monster Smackdown. Who will be the victor? A once beautiful maiden cursed by the gods or the daughter of a mad scientist? Lethality: The Reptile packs a pretty powerful bite. Her victims die within minutes, foaming at the mouth as their flesh turns black with her venom. She racks up a body count in the small village of Clagmoor Heath in Cornwall where locals blame the rash of deaths on the Black Plague. While the Reptile's venom is powerful, she still needs to get close to sink her fangs into her victim. Medusa can literally turn her victims to stone with a glance. Medusa was once a beautiful maiden who defiled Athena's temple by having an affair with Poseidon. In revenge, Athena transformed Medusa's hair into writhing snakes and made her face so horrible to look upon that it would turn onlookers to stone. Medusa's lethality is more powerful than poison, ...
I watched the Sixth Sense for the first time last night, and I can’t help thinking, “what happened M. Night Shyamalan?” The Sixth Sense was masterfully directed and written, providing just the right amount of suspense and a twist ending that had everyone in the theater gasping for air. Add to that the superb performances of Bruce Willis and the kid from A.I., and the Sixth Sense was a box office smash. Unfortunately, none of Mr. Shyamalan’s later films have lived up to this debut. Shymamalan realized how important the twist ending was to the success of the Sixth Sense, and proceeded to throw the obligatory curve ball into every one of his subsequent films. The problem with this technique is that a) you can see it coming and b) a twist isn’t always a good thing. So here’s my take on the films of M. Night Shyamalan, their twists and their shortcomings. Mark Wahlberg tries to find a plot that makes sense in The Happening The Happening (2008) Twist Ending: Plants are trying to kill ...
Wow, that really is scary!
ReplyDeleteShe was one of my 'female villains' I spotlighted last month and I reiterate that she is probably the most frightening. Seeing those clips again makes me a bit ill...
ReplyDeleteDefinitely nightmare inducing!
You know, for all the disdain that was heaped upon this film (and much of it was well deserved), and as bad as the script is (and it's pretty bad) - I still think that Faye Dunaway gave a terrific performance. Call it campy, but next to her performances in Network and Bonnie and Clyde, this is the one everyone remembers her for.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the movie sucks but Dunaway's great in it. Interestingly, after really researching the part, and talking to those who knew her, Faye realized she wasn't playing a monster and sought to humanize J Crawford, much to christina Crawford's rage!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Pax and Rob. The pacing and direction are awful, as the film has no real sense of time or purpose, but in the hands of a better filmmaker, I really do think Dunaway could've won an Oscar. She goes all out, and as fun as it is to make fun of the performance now, it's actually great on its own.
ReplyDelete